Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Brain Splurge

I am facing a crisis. I am reading approximately 1,000 books right now and don't know how to finish any of them. I have this problem where I like reading so much that I think I can read everything all at once. This is a problem because, well, it's impossible. Especially with the "required reading" that comes with college. Fact: I would like to read Vanity Fair. New Fact Number One: Not gonna happen in two weeks. New Fact Number Two: I WANT TO READ WHAT I WANT TO READ!!...get me out of college.

I also have another problem where I love books so much that I buy them in bulk. If I walk out of a bookstore without a purchase I have just exhibited extreme self control and deserve a book as a reward! I just got back from New York where I obviously went to Strand Book Store...twice. Don't look at me with your judging eyes!18 miles of books = me in bliss. And I visited a lovely little book store named Shakespeare & Co. (how could I not!!). I controlled my massive book spending boner (gross?) and only bought five books. A Single Man, Of Mistresses, Tigresses and Other Conquests,  Nothing: A Very Short Introduction, Shakespeare: A Very Short Introduction and some book that I can't even think of right now. The cover looked neat and the back sounded interesting...short stories concerning cake? Meh.   

So because of my crazy desire to read everything ever written all at once I have resigned my self to reading short things that I can read quickly and stressing about all the other things I "should" be reading. Ugh! Why am I so stressed about reading. Also I should be doing homework right now....BUT I digress.


I just finished reading the play Proof by Chicago native (I think...too lazy to look it up) David Auburn and the first book in the Sally Lockhart Mysteries by Phillip Pullman - God among authors (weird because he hates God). Anyways they were both fantastic.

Proof makes me want to be a mathematician and makes me hate myself a little for not having done math in four years. And now Catherine in that play is on my short list of "want to play" (not so short a list...). Also as my good friend Torie pointed out Hal is hot. (There is clearly more to this play that the previous statements, but my brain is melting so deal with it. I gave you a link!)

The Sally Lockhart mystery: A Ruby in the Smoke was very clever, set in England in the Victorian period, written for young adults, wonderful and readable in a day. I subsequently ordered the whole series and will, theoretically, write a whole blog dedicated to all of them...and the Billie Piper miniseries.  


While in New York I started A Single Man (even though I brought 5 other books) which is so beautifully written that it blows my mind!! I will defiantly write a blog (that is well thought out and not a brain splurge) about it, but do yourself a favor and just go fucking read it. The two opening paragraphs are heart breaking. And then I started Nothing: A Very Short Introduction which is also blowing my mind in a scientific, I have to read everything twice, why am I not a scientist, so interesting, why do I have to read Vanity Fair instead of this kind of a way! I am literally 20 pages in and I have had to reread every section - it has taken me an hour to read 20 pages! SCIENCE!


Bleh. So there is my weird book rant. Hopefully I will be able to post something more "substantial" in the near future. 


Currently Reading: Oh Gods just kill me already.


Disclamer: I don't actually hate Vanity Fair. In fact it is quite good. I just hate reading on someone elses schedule and then having to prove that I read it....it was suppose to be read two weeks ago. :/ If you see me give me a hug...or a kiss ;-) to make me feel better.


seeyakthaxbyefuck

Lady Alexis

1 comment:

  1. First of all, I love you.
    Second of all, Billie Piper AND MATT SMITH are in the miniseries.
    Third of all, SO MANY BOOKS.

    ReplyDelete