Friday, January 14, 2011

You Should Give a Fuck

I am not a blogger. I am just a person who loves to read. I also love parenthesizes.

With that being said, I'd like to introduce myself to you with an author named Christopher Moore.

My love affair with Christopher Moore began in 2007 with a book called A Dirty Job. If you haven't yet discovered Christopher Moore or read A Dirty Job then I don't know what you've been doing with your lives, but you need some to do serious literary re-prioritizing.

In the three years since my discovery I have made my way through all 12 of the books in his canon (yes, I did use the word canon, deal with it), making him the second author for which I have done so, following only Chuck Palahnuik. Having just finished my last book to reach this milestone, I found it only appropriate to start your love affair with my reading list over The Stupidest Angel: A Heartwarming Tale of Christmas Terror.

The Stupidest Angel is a hilarious Christmas novel set in Pine Cove, CA (also the setting for The Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove) and is a brilliant mashup of characters from all over Moore's canon -- a specialty of his just happens to be cross cutting characters, leaving easter eggs for readers with almost any book you pick up (with the exception, ironically, of my favorite: Fool) -- including The Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove, Lamb, and The Island of the Sequined Love Nun.

We find our hero, Theo Crow, former mega-stoner and star of Lust Lizard, once again in Pine Cove (apparently the epicenter of the world for paranormal and fantastical activity) just in time for the holiday festivities. However, the stupidest angel in the history of creation, Raziel, has come to fuck shit up. The Christmas season quickly turns into an almost slapstick game of Theo trying to manage the town (and out of town) crazies, the murder of Santa Claus, a suspicious possible robot and/or child molester, and, prepare yourself, motherfucking zombies.

Because, what's a decent Christmas novel if it doesn't include any zombies?

The Stupidest Angel was the perfect capstone to my Christopher Moore experience, and left me eagerly awaiting his next novel (which cannot come soon enough).

Links!

Christopher Moore's site: http://www.chrismoore.com/books.html

Buy his things on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=Christopher+Moore&x=18&y=12

So, yeah, that's kind of who I am. I love Christopher Moore, but I also love a lot of things and will read pretty much anything. I may not be totally great at this whole "blogging" thing  but stick with me, and I'll get there. And hey, if nothing else my reading list will blow your mind.

Your faithful reader,

Lady Erin

(currently reading: Dr. Nina and the Panther by Shirley P. Wheeler)

1 comment: