Wednesday, January 26, 2011

More Moore

I’ve been craving adventure lately; I just want to suck it down like I did with literature on the American Pioneer. Probably something to do with the fact that I just want to fly away and leave all this to yesterday, (think Nicole Kidman’s character in Moulin Rouge)…except without the prostitution, beautiful elephant to live in, and Ewan Macgregor ogling me from a swing while I die from consumption. I just love stories. I love stories of personal growth that you can put on a map with as well. Growth in your mind, body, and soul…..with the capability of being like, “Oh yea, remember when I was in the swamplands and I realized that I am hiding from the realization that I am becoming my mother”. Or, “Remember when we were trying to find that elderly man with the prophecy and I realized that I didn’t like avocados that much, but pretend I do because it’s the trendy new thing to like.” Or, “Remember when we were in the temple of pig carcasses when I realized I liked women?


That’s what I like. Self-growth and actualization that can be associated with a specific part on your journey. IT’s just such a nice combination.

I am not on a journey; I am living in Rogers Park, working a silly job, and getting drunk on my couch.

But, this is not meant to be a pity party, it’s good. And we talk about books here.

Enter Lamb, by Christopher Moore. I just…... adored this book. I love the idea of it, I marvel at his courage as a writer to hold such a respect for an age old story, but also make me giggle in bed, (while reading people….gosh dirty minds) but also make me cry from the deep, deep running friendship themes. I also didn’t feel like a moron reading it because it forced me look things up, and wonder about that book called the Bible, which actually turns out to be full of awesome stories…and wonderful life lessons. This is ironic because our generation LOVES bashing the Bible. But I’m serious. I like the book as a book. No. I like the book as it is associated with centuries and generations of different takes on spirituality, because that is just beautiful.

Sorry, that’s not the book this entry is about.

Lamb is s a coming of age story, an adventure, freaking hilarious, and painfully heartfelt. You first-handedly experience the struggles that two young boys experience as they realize that suffering and disappointment is just as real as a sense of security and the idea of peace. Moore mixes an ancient religion with an accurate human viewpoint on life. His writing may indicate a lack of respect for Christianity and religion in general, but he really ends up validating all ways of thinking, and pays a tribute to Jesus Christ. (In my opinion)

Biff accompanies Joshua on his quest for knowledge and understanding, with the hope that Joshua (Jesus) will learn how to actually BE the messiah for his people. That, and he is scared that Joshua’s kind way and trust in the good of people will get him killed. This following passage is taken from when Joshua is learning the ancient art of meditation from his teacher Gaspar, who is one of the Magi that was present at his humble birth. I just love it, and think it illustrates Moore’s style perfectly.

“Sitting was what we did. To learn to sit, to be still and hear the music of the universe, was why we had come halfway around the world, evidently. To let go of ego, not individuality, but that which distinguishes us from all other beings. ‘When you sit, sit. When you breathe, breathe. When you eat, eat.’ Gaspar would say, meaning that every bit of our being was to be in the moment, completely aware of the now, no past, no future, nothing dividing us from everything that is.


It’s hard for me, a Jew, to stay in the moment. Without the past, where is the guilt? And without the future, where is the dread? And without guilt and dread who am I?"

Beautiful, no?

Biff is like that guy in high school that made corny jokes and wanted to be a kick ass ninja that you rolled your eyes at. But he was also that friend you could ALWAYS count on to be rational, to cover your ass, to never doubt your methods…ever. I mean, his best friend is a pretty big deal. He is jealous at times sure, but he also makes fart jokes with Christ and tries to teach him about sex.

I love this book because it draws attention to something that always intrigued me about the Christianity. Jesus was human. He grew up. He doubted his life. And his humanity is what makes people worship him, not his omnipotence…In theory anyway….Moore takes the holiness, and sacredness, and delicacy away from the whole period surrounding Jesus of Nazareth. He compares God to James Earl Jones, he makes his Christ character a likeable dude who is just SO naïve about the evils of the world. He makes Jesus QUESTION God, his father, like any young person questions their parents. And he does it in such a gosh darn charming way. Like dude, Christ says fuck all the time in this book.

Moore-over (ha, see what I did there) I loved the idea that Jesus sacrifices himself to rebel against God. We all know the God of the First Testament was a total dick. (Really no offence meant here) He always asked for people to be sacrificed and killed, and flooded the earth and all that stuff. Moore brings up a point that maybe Jesus sacrifices himself to show his pops that things need to be changed. By sacrificing himself maybe God will realize that there need not BE any more sacrifices, and change the way things work in terms of worship.

One beef with the book, but not really beef because I understand it, but as a reader just makes me frustrated. The abrupt ending. Moore ends all of the books I’ve read so far in just…..an ending. I won’t really ruin it. And there really is no other way of ending it, because we know Jesus does eventually die. But I guess it’s really MOORE of a good thing. I was sad when it was over.


Peacfully and Forcibly Yours,
Lady Emily

(Currently reading: Stardust by Neil Gaiman)

1 comment:

  1. Love this review of Lamb. This is one of my all time favorite books and you described the experience of reading it beautifully. I'll never forgot reading the book (I had the bible-looking edition) on the CTA and getting weird looks for laughing aloud, or feeling dirty for reading a sexy part - c'mon, Moore can be pretty descriptive sometimes. I was so upset when I knew it was going to be over, and I so wanted the ending to be different (it was worth hoping for, right?), I was afraid to finish the book. I just had to force myself to sit down for an hour at a coffee shop and do it. And on that outdoor patio finishing Lamb (remember, I had the bible-looking edition) I cried. I believe there is something for everyone to get out of this book.

    ReplyDelete